Thursday, May 1, 2008

Lunaception

Here's the thing... I have long cycles. I always have. My average ovulation is on cycle day 21, and overall, the cycle lasts about 34 days. And when we're TTA, I don't mind at all! But once we TTC, I'm going to go nuts waiting three weeks for ovulation every cycle... I just know it. So, why not try to encourage an earlier ovulation through Lunaception!?

Lunaception is the regulation of light and darkness while sleeping in order to naturally encourage changes in the menstrual cycle. In general, women have found that decreasing the amount of light while sleeping does a number of things:
1. Women with early or late ovulation notice it conforming more with the average ovulation on cycle day 14
2. Women with short luteal phases find that they are lengthened
3. Women with erratic or scant cervical mucus find that it is increased and becomes of greater quality
4. Women find that their basal body temperatures become more even and hormones more steady
5. People find that they get a better night's sleep and are more awake and alert throughout the day.

Right now our lighting situation is less than ideal. And now that I think about it... that could be why I haven't been sleeping well lately (like... for the past month or so... right when it would be getting lighter earlier). With a studio apartment with lots of windows, we get lots of natural light and blacking it out with heavier curtains would be impractical, expensive, and probably not very effective, either. So, plan B... eye mask. Now to find one that I like.

The last two cycles, my mucus pattern has been driving me nuts (too little... only distinguishable by internal checks), and over the past year I've gone from consistently 13-day LPs to consistently 12-day LPs with a 10-day one thrown in there... too much light?

Another note about our sleeping arrangements... last year our bedroom was in a loft apartment which was QUITE dark (esp. at night)... and from cycle 16-26 (the time that we lived there) I had consistently longer LPs and consistently earlier ovulation... coincidence?

So, my plan right now is to start wearing an eye mask as soon as AF arrives (around 5/17). Cycles 36-38 (May-Aug) I'll wear it consistently throughout my cycle. Then, from cycles 39 if they are still long (with ovulation
after CD20), I'm going to try removing it for CD12-14 to try to encourage an earlier ovulation.

No comments: